Upcoming events from August 2 | Sports
The list of upcoming events is a public service of The Times News. E-mail [email protected], fax the list information to (423) 392-1385 or contact the Evening Sports Department at (423) 392-1323 or 1-800-251-0328, ext. 4323. Include sport, dates, deadlines, location and contact details.
• ETSU PROSPECTS CAMPS, for Grades 9 to 12, will take place on August 21, September 5 and November 13-14, from 9 a.m. to noon, at Thomas Stadium. The cost is $ 150. For more information, visit etsubucs.com/fanzone/camps/.
• WOMEN’S UVA WISE BASKETBALL will host an elite camp for grades 8-12 students on Saturday August 7th. The cost is $ 55 per camper if registered before August 3 and $ 70 thereafter. For more information, go online at uvawisewomensbasketball.totalcamps.com.
• FLAG FOOTBALL LEAGUE REGISTRATION started on August 2. Adult, Industrial and Open League teams are guaranteed eight games plus playoffs. A registration fee of $ 300 is due at the Coaches Meeting, which will be held August 16 at the Sugar Hollow Administrative Office in Bristol, Virginia. The season kicks off on August 23 and all games will take place Monday night. To register, call Shawn at (423) 416-9606.
• CHILDREN’S MIRACLE NETWORK Play Yellow Scramble will take place on Monday August 9 at Cattails at MeadowView. The event hosted by Cattails, Marriott Golf and Visit Kingsport benefits Niswonger Children’s Hospital. The field is open for the first 30 teams of four to participate, and the day will be full of fun with cash and other prizes. The game will begin with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. Registration fees are $ 125 per person or $ 500 for a team of four; a team of four plus hole sponsorship is available for $ 625. To register or purchase a sponsorship, please visit the Cattails Golf Shop, send an email [email protected], or call (423) 578-6622.
• HIKING ON THE “DARWIN’S REVENGE” TRAIL Thursday, August 5, starting at 9:30 a.m. at Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport. Wear good walking shoes and comfortable clothing, and bring drinking water for the multi-hour hike. Meet at the camp store to carpool to the trailhead.
• LITTLE NIGHT HIKING will take place Thursday, August 5, starting at 8:30 p.m., at Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport. Adult hikers will receive old-fashioned kerosene lanterns; children should instead bring flashlights for safety. Meet at the mountain bike trail parking lot (at the end of Freeman Road, Blountville) for the start of the hike.
• RIPARIAN HIKING will begin at 9 a.m. on Friday August 6 at Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport. Meet at the camp store to carpool to the start of the hike along the creek bank.
• BONEYARD HIKING at Warriors Path State Park in Kingsport on Saturday, August 7, starting at 9 a.m. Wear comfortable clothes and good hiking shoes, and bring drinking water for this difficult 2-3 mile hike. Meet at the mountain bike trail parking lot (at the end of Freeman Road, Blountville).
• RAILROAD DAYS 5K, 3 mile Power Walk and 1 mile Fun Walk will take place on Saturday August 7 in the Appalachians. The pre-registration fee is $ 10 for the walks and $ 14 for the 5K. Contact Randy Blair at (276) 565-0406 or (276) 455-9621 or PO BOX 302, Appalachia, VA 24216.
• INAUGURAL 5K MEMORIAL: Jogging for Jess will take place on Saturday, August 15, starting at 8 a.m., with a start and finish at the First Baptist Church in Greeneville. The event – a fundraiser for the Jessica Colter Memorial Scholarship, which goes to ETSU nursing students – includes a 5k run / walk and activities for all ages. Jogging for Jess Run / Walk costs $ 25 per person for in-person or virtual runners. Registration is available online at jessicacolterscholarship.com or on the WeRunEvents.com calendar. The day of registration is $ 30.
• 15th BAYS MOUNTAIN TRAIL RACE is scheduled for Saturday, September 18, starting at 8 a.m. at Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport. This 15 mile Skelton Law Racing Series event is the 2021 RRCA Tennessee State Cross Country Championship as well as part of the SFTC King & Queen competition, Trail Series competition and Long Distance Series. Contact Race Director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or [email protected].
• VIRTUAL CAREER RUN 5K, a fundraiser for Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Tennessee, will take place in October. As part of the virtual format, participants can run or walk 5 kilometers anywhere and anytime from midnight on October 9 to 11:55 p.m. on October 18. Go online at tennesseebig.org/events to learn more and to register.
• 19th SURGOINSVILLE 10 MILLER The road race is scheduled for Saturday, October 16, starting at 8 a.m. at Surgoinsville Middle School. This Skelton Law Racing Series event is the 2021 RRCA Tennessee State 10 Mile Championship as well as part of the SFTC King & Queen competition and long distance series. Contact Race Director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or [email protected].
• FALL SOCCER IN JONESBOROUGH, led by the Parks and Recreation Department and the Jonesborough Soccer Association, is signing up for the season. All games are played at Persimmon Ridge Park. The registration dates are August 3, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. August 5, 6 pm-8pm; August 7 from 9 a.m. to noon; and August 8, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Mixed teams will be grouped by age (3-5, 6-7, 8-9, 10-12, 13-15). Practice usually begins the first part of September, with games starting a week later. The season usually ends in early November. Times will vary. Registration fees are $ 40 per child. For forms and more information, visit jonesboroughtn.org or call (423) 791-3732.
• CAMP PROSPECT TUSCULUM SOFTBALL will take place Sunday, August 29, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., at JC Red Edmonds Field. The registration fee is $ 125 and must be paid by Wednesday August 25 and the camp is limited to the first 50 applicants. For more information, contact trainer Julie Huebner at [email protected] or call (423) 636-7300 ext. 5131. Applications and payment address can be found online at tusculumpioneers.com under the Softball tab.