National Park

Rocky Mountain National Park Raises Admission Fees

ESTES PARK, Colo. (KDVR) — Adventurers planning to explore the alluring trails and mountains of Rocky Mountain National Park this year should plan to bring a little extra cash as the park increases its fees from late may.

Increase in daily vehicle packages:

Starting May 27, RMNP will increase the one-day vehicle pass from $25 to $30.

While park operations are funded by direct appropriations from Congress, the park says this fee increase is necessary for overall improvement and ongoing maintenance projects that directly enhance the visitor experience.

Although RMNP is one of the few national parks to offer a one-day pass for vehicles, this right is not new. The one-day pass was implemented in October 2015. The increased fee will not affect the RMNP Seven-Day Pass, Annual Pass, or any of the America Passes. the Beautiful.

Increase in camping fees:

Winter camping fees are also increasing. On October 12, 2022, camping fees will increase from $20 per night to $30. The park plans to increase summer camping fees from $30 to $35 per night, but that increase won’t take effect until summer 2023.

According to the park, the increase in campground fees will address the increased costs of garbage removal, daycare, general site maintenance and snow removal operations during the winter months.

Fee-funded projects:

According to the park, the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act is the legislation that allows the park to collect entrance and amenity fees. The park keeps 80% of the money collected to be used on projects, the remaining 20% ​​is shared throughout the national park system.

Ongoing projects funded by the collection of fees at RMNP are:

  • Tree Risk Mitigation: The park contains large areas where trees are dying due to the beetle epidemic. The fees funded the mitigation of hazardous trees in developed areas such as campgrounds and visitor centers.
  • Hiking Trail Repairs and Improvements: According to the park, many hiking trail improvements have been funded through recreation fees. Crews were able to repair washed out sections of trail and install bridges and vault toilets at heavily populated trailheads.
  • Wilderness Campground Improvements: The park says its wilderness campsites are used by thousands of backcountry campers each year. The fees fund the maintenance of these popular sites.
  • Bear Management: Money collected from park fees directly maintains wild bears at RMNP. According to the park, over the past 20 years of collecting fees, 100% of the park’s garbage cans, recycling bins and dumpsters are now bear-proof. The park also added 352 food storage lockers.
  • Restoration of historic rock faces along Trail Ridge Road: The historic rock face along one of RMNP’s most iconic trails is planned for visitor safety. Funding from royalties helps restore damaged sections of the wall.

RMNP sought public comment on proposed fee increases in the fall of 2021, and based on their research, most commenters expressed support for the increased vehicle and one-day camping fees. Survey respondents acknowledged the importance of funding to the park and the cost it takes to operate the facilities.

As more outdoor enthusiasts venture into RMNP from all corners of the world, the park continues to grow its staff and preservation. Based on 2020 numbers shared by the park, 3.3 million people spent $224 million visiting RMNP, all despite the COVID pandemic and historic wildfires.

These figures supported 3,190 jobs, $121 million in labor income and $342 million in economic output in the regions surrounding the RMNP.

An estimated 4.4 million people visited RMNP in 2021 and the park continues to expect increased visitor numbers and revenue as more travelers venture out to explore the beauty behind -Colorado yard.